Networking Events & Activities
Though Cannexus will be virtual, the conference will be offering many opportunities to engage and build community with fellow attendees, speakers and exhibitors alike.
Hallway Meetings are generously brought to you by Douglas College.
These video-based peer-to-peer matchmaking sessions take place during all breaks at Cannexus. To register for these matchmaking sessions, please follow these steps:
- Login to the virtual conference platform between January 4 – January 9, 2021. All registered delegates who have paid their registration fees will receive an email the week of January 4, 2021 with login details. If you do not see this email in your inbox, please check your spam. If the email is not in your spam folder, contact email@example.com.
- Build and save your profile.
- Go to the “People” tab and click “Attendees.” You will be able to view the full attendee list.
- Scroll through the attendee list and look for people who you would like to meet. You may also search for attendees and filter by language, city, sector, organization, professional interests, hobbies, etc.
- When you find an attendee that you would like to meet, click on their profile and choose the green “Want to Meet” button at the top of their profile. They are now added to your “Want to Meet” list.
- You may choose as many people as you wish; however, you must choose at least one person in order to be signed up for this peer-to-peer matchmaking during all Cannexus breaks. By selecting at least one person for your “Want to Meet” list, you have registered to be matched with different attendees during all Cannexus breaks.
- All your Hallway Meetings will be setup in the platform by January 25, 2021. When you enter the platform on January 25, you will be able to see all your matchmaking sessions during the breaks under “My Agenda”.
To participate, you will be required to build your “Want to Meet” list in the platform by January 9, 2021. After this date, we will not be able to accommodate the peer-to-peer matchmaking functionality within your profile. If you are unable to participate in Hallway Meetings, you will still be able to connect directly (by video or chat) with other attendees within the platform.
Please note, you may not necessarily be matched with everyone you select for a variety of reasons, including: people you want to meet with may not be participating in Hallway Meetings or you have selected more people than slots available in your schedule. If you select someone you “Want to Meet” and they select you as well, it is more likely that you will be matched together during a Hallway Meeting break. If you select someone and they do not sign up for Hallway Meetings, you may still contact them directly through the platform to schedule a meeting
Virtual Community Mosaic
The need for Canada’s career development communities to be united and working towards the common goal of Career Development for Public Good has never been more critical. The Virtual Community Mosaic is a powerful collaborative process where participants actually produce a small work of art that creates ONE LARGE COMMUNITY MOSAIC, in real time. Our unique Virtual Community Mosaic will bring us together through creativity and the expression of a shared vision.
Participants will be delighted with the final image – to be unveiled post-Cannexus – and the power of their individual contribution to the collective masterpiece. This fun anchoring experience will reinforce what is possible as we collectively re-imagine career services as a gateway to social and economic justice. Each of us will leave the experience not only aligned, connected and accountable for our “piece” of the picture but also more ambitious for the future.
How it works?
The large image, which embodies the vision of Career Development for Public Good, will be pixelated into individual tiles. Participants will be asked to recreate a tile at home using a piece of paper and a pencil then upload their image. Don’t worry – the process is very straightforward!
Attendees will have the opportunity to work on their tiles during scheduled breaks or outside of conference hours.
(Not Your Typical) Cocktail Party
Wednesday, January 27, 15:30 – 16:30 ET
Is there something you want to talk about at Cannexus, or a kind of conversation you are hoping to have? Then join us for this incredible Zoom cocktail room where you can interact with other conference participants interested in those same topics.
This Cocktail Party will be like nothing you have been to online. You’ll be able to find people who you are interested in talking to, chat in small groups, and move fluidly between conversations – just like at a real cocktail party! Whether you’re the kind of person who loves cocktail parties or someone who finds them kind of awkward, this fun and easy event is intended to provide a meaningful experience for everyone.
It will be hosted by Misha Glouberman, a professional facilitator who helps people run better meetings and conferences, and have more effective and authentic conversations, both online and face to face. He has spent the last 9 months experimenting with ways to create online gatherings that capture a lot of the vitality of real-world get-togethers.
Here are some things to know about the event:
- It is an event with a beginning, middle and end. We ask that you be on time, ready to start at 3:30 pm ET. It runs for 1-hour and ends at 4:30 pm ET.
- Parts of the event will be very structured, with facilitation by Misha. Parts will be more free-form.
- You need to log in using a computer: Many of the most important features we’ll be using are unavailable on the Zoom tablet/phone software.
- You’ll need to be running the latest version of Zoom (VERY IMPORTANT) on your computer (not in browser) so please be sure to update and make sure the application is installed before the event. We’ll be relying heavily on some features that are *only* available in the latest release on the desktop version of Zoom.
- Show up with your camera on, and be ready to participate: This is a participatory, cameras-on event. You’ll spend most of your time in small Zoom video-chat groups.
- Feel free to bring a time-zone-appropriate drink!
Note capacity will be limited and participation is first-come, first-served.
Rencontre des acteurs de l’orientation et du développement de carrière francophone : découverte et partage
Mercredi 27 janvier 2021, 15 h 30 – 16 h 30 HE
Le format virtuel de Cannexus cette année nous offre l’immense opportunité d’avoir des francophones du secteur venant des quatre coins du pays. Pourquoi ne pas profitez de l’occasion pour mettre un visage sur vos confrères et sur les différents acteurs de l’orientation et du développement de carrière du Canada francophone? Joignez-vous à nous pour converser ensemble de vos défis, enjeux, et similitudes en tant que spécialiste francophone de la carrière!
Looking into the Future: What Students Need to Know Before Working in the Career Development Field
Wednesday, January 27, 15:30 – 16:30 ET
The world of work is changing rapidly and new careers are emerging to meet the needs of the current labour market. If you are a student who is studying career development or thinking about transitioning into the field, it is essential to understand the role of career professionals. Join career leaders from community employment agencies, post-secondary career centres and private sector transition firms for a discussion on the current labour market, job searching skills required, how to get hired and what skillsets you need to move into the career development profession.